Email the Site Coordinator OCHS.AVIDsitecoordinator@orecity.k12.or.us
What is AVID?
AVID is a national program to close the achievement gap for low-income, historically underrepresented and other students with barriers to college by preparing all students for college readiness and success. Students enter the program in 9th grade and remain in the program all four years of high schools. AVID targets students in the “academic middle”.
What Services Does AVID Provide?
• An on-going AVID elective class teaching AVID academic strategies, goal setting and college readiness skills. Students remain in the AVID class all four years.
• Organizational, note-taking and student strategies to be used across classes
• Tutorials ( as part of the AVID elective class)
• Support for required enrollment in one or more advanced academic classes each semester
• Motivational activities and field trips
• College and career exploration
• Support for college identification and application
• Financial aid planning and application support
Who is an AVID Student?
• Has a GPA of between 2.0 and 3.5 (others may be considered on a case by case basis).
• May be the first generation in his/her family to attend college, low income, a member of a historically underrepresented group, or have other barriers to college attendance
• Has good attendance and appropriate classroom behavior
• Has the desire and determination to complete a college preparatory path with support